Wednesday, August 15, 2007

This politics is local

It looks like my viewpoint did not prevail in the special election in Little Rock. The people have spoken and my heart is troubled for the those whose neighborhoods will surfer at the hands of special interests who always get their way in land use decisions.

I am not a big fan of the federal lawsuit filed here to stop the election, although I think it may slow down the big changeover. Although I like Mark Stodola personally, he was not elected to exercise the kind of authority passed by the voters yesterday and I think a federal court may agree. Then again, I could be wrong.

You know what is really disheartening? It is the lack of participation in local elections and I bet this happens in your town too. Good men and women have suffered and died so we could all have a say. What’s more, the local government scene is a place where our voices can be heard. You can make a difference in local politics, if it is doing nothing more than casting a ballot. Folks in Washington seem to march to their own drummer, but the city council makes decisions we have to live with every day. I truly wish that more people would have an interest in local affairs.

(Broadcast August 15, 2007)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?