Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ah, the good old days

Let’s turn today to one of my favorite subjects, me. You may not know this, but I am extremely sentimental. This shows up in all sorts of strange and unexpected ways, including my celebration of anniversaries.

It was 27 years ago today that Mt. St. Helens in western Washington state erupted, killing 65 people and leaving a grimy plume of ash and pumice. I well remember the mid-afternoon that day when a huge black cloud appeared over the horizon in Spokane. Shortly thereafter, it rained dirt. The smell was a hideous mix of sulfur and rotten eggs. It clung to your clothes and your skin and ruined automobile engines.

It was a tremendous catastrophe and I had the great privilege to cover it for KSPO Newsradio. There was great uncertainty and fear. It was fun and exciting. I was 30 years old and got the opportunity to do talk shows because all the qualified people were exhausted after the first week of non-stop coverage. It may have been a disaster for some, but the eruption of Mt. St. Helens volcano is real special to me.

(Broadcast May 18, 2007)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?