Wednesday, February 21, 2007

40 days and 40 nights

Today is Ash Wednesday. It is a day to do penance. In the old church tradition, today begins a 40 day fast. Now, just in case you decide to count the days from now to Easter, be sure to leave off Sundays. You should include St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, although everybody parties to honor the patron saint of Ireland. Back in the day, when folks really took things seriously, the bishops would actually grant dispensations from Lenten observances for the big day.

This is the season for penance and self-denial. I have not actually decided to give anything up, but I will certainly repent. I am sorry I ever supported making seat belt usage any kind of offense. That has proven to be an open door for racial profiling and every other kind of evil. I am sorry I ever said anything that might be taken the wrong way about Mitch Mustain.

This is not easy because I am usually right. I certainly had George W. Bush nailed all the way back to Florida in 2000, and Jim Dailey never really fooled me. Perhaps after a few days of penance, it will all start to surface.

Humility is a fine virtue and scarcely seen any more. That fasting business sounds pretty darned serious. I’ll have to try that someday.

(Broadcast February 21, 2007)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?