Saturday, December 23, 2006

We hardly knew you, Bob Harrison

Today is the Winter Solstice. It is the shortest day of the year and part of the ancient pagan winter ritual. In the long darkness of this night, I have to say my thoughts turn a little sad.

On this day, I remember my dear friend, Bob Harrison, who left this life on December 22, 2002. He was a friend, even when I was on the ropes and it might cost him something. Bob was probably the most talented person to ever sit behind a microphone in Arkansas. That is easy to say once a man is dead, and a bit ironic considering Bob’s well-known insecurities.

He hosted the all news morning show with Sharon Lee for years and did the oldies thing for a while. Bob will also be rememberd as a former Arkansas Sports Broadcaster of the Year. His Travelers games were so entertaining, I had to listen. Harrison went to Chicago and was, no fooling, a huge star on an African-American station.

But all of this is the usual radio smoke blowing. Let me tell you that he was a loving and devoted dad. He loved to cook and entertain. We once worked on a radio production of “A Christmas Carol.” He was the nephew and I was, of course, Scrooge. He would often call or write and start off saying, “Uncle.” I miss him terribly. If only he know how important he really was. If only.

(Broadcast December 22, 2006)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?