Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Get Barney's bullet

Drivers on Arkansas 65 will be thrilled to know that the Municipal League is working with some smaller towns to relax state laws restricting speed traps. There is a limit to what percentage of local revenue a city can derive from traffic tickets.

Now, I know that will come as a blinding revelation to the folks in Damascus, but there are limits. Based on what I see whenever Marie and I head north from Little Rock, the existing limits must be quite generous. I suppose that us fast paced city folks are a precipitous danger to the children and livestock of the more rural parts of the state.

But seriously, it is true that some of us are a little heavy on the pedal and local law enforcement certainly ought to “nip it in the bud.” The point is, honest to goodness; we work hard and pay enough taxes that most folks just want to be left alone. Here’s a radical idea. Tax the local folks for the streetlights and community centers.

It isn’t just one town. Arkansas has plenty of areas where motorists are at the mercy of local cops and their hometown judges. It might be a better idea to tighten restrictions on revenue from traffic tickets. That is a bill I would love to see introduced. Of course, that would make too much sense.

(Broadcast December 19, 2006)

Comments:
I was recently stopped for speeding and given a ticket in a town of 250 people. The two cops (in one police car..not kidding) said I was speeding. Obviously they clocked me before I got to their speed zone. I was not speeding and had my cruise set on the speed limit. This goes beyond any speed trap law. They claimed I was going 68 in a 55 when actually I was going 58 in a 65 zone. Since they lied and said I was in their speed zone, the ticket would not be regulated by the speed trap law.

The solution is not setting a certain percentage of tickets for 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit. The ONLY solution is to make those ticket fees go to the state instead of the small towns. Then if they wanted to stop every single care for speeding 5 miles over the speed limit they could, BUT they would not profit from it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?