Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas presents

Christmas at my house was great, although I think that, by giving my lovely bride Marie a digital camera, I may have created a monster. We went to church twice and dined with wonderful friends twice.

I got some wonderful new clothes and a great new police scanner. I say “police scanner” so that you will understand that it is a radio monitor, not something you use to make copies of documents. I use the scanner mostly to listen to railroad traffic. It is reassuring to hear the great high-priority Z-trains of the Union Pacific go screaming through and coal trains come rumbling down full and headed back to Wyoming empty. There is a reassuring rhythm to the operation of the railroad.

Lots of folks listen to police and fire calls on those scanners, and sometimes I do too, but what’s the point. Unless the house next door is going up in smoke there is no real surprise in the slow demise of human behavior. Heck, some days you expect that a man really will bite a dog.

I hope your Christmas was perfect too. I am terribly blessed and really looking forward to the Hogs and Wisconsin. A little escapism is not a bad thing.

(Broadcast December 27, 2006)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?