Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The voting process

First of all, check the calendar. This is Wednesday morning and the counting is apparently complete, but went very late. Most of us went to bed not knowing the final count, which turns out to be good news - a narrow "no" vote. This delay is despite the universal presence of new computerized voting machines and the not-quite-so-new optical scan voting machines. We had both available where I voted yesterday, Terry School.

What in the hell is wrong with this picture? Why are results not instantly available? This look to me like a wide opening to corruption in a hotly contested race for some important public office.

That thought brings me directly to November and the general election. Maybe I am missing something, but it takes four distinct steps to vote on each item. There was only one item yesterday, and no lines. It will take the average Arkansan at least one minute to vote each item. In a long ballot with long lines, it may take each individual 10 minutes or longer.

In Pulaski County, this is the classic instance of fixing something that was never broken. What was your experience, and what do you expect? Comments are moderated (sorry), but I will get them up as quickly as possible. Feel free to post your reaction.

Later today, we will deal with the next step in fixing the Pulaski County Jail.

Comments:
Pat,

I didn't have any problems with the voting process in Sherwood. The poll workers were very helpful and excited to see me since I was the only voter at the time.

My only complaint would be the process for setting up the electronic voting booth. After the poll worker "logged me in" to vote, she turned her back to me but remained standing right beside me. Even with her back turned to me, she was standing closer to me than my wife does when we hold hands! In previous electronic voting experiences, the worker walked away from the booth rather than standing behind me, like this worker, to moderate my vote.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?