Sunday, August 27, 2006

At the State Democratic Convention - UPDATED

I was on an excellent panel with Warwick Sabin of Arkansas Times blog and John McClure of Air America concerning media coverage of politics. It was a great opportunity to meet and greet.

I spent time with plenty of folks from across the state and I have posted 10 very informative and insightful interviews on my home page, lyncho.com. Well worth the time. Each is under 5 minutes.

UPDATE - One of the people I interviewed was Rod Bryan. Yes, the independent candidate for governor did crash the party. I also asked Jason Willett, Chairman of the party, about Bryan's presence. You need to hear both of these interviews.

THEN ... Take a look at Seth Blomeley's excellent report in today's Democrat-Gazette. Apparently, I missed the "big show."

After his speech, Beebe, wearing a coat and tie, hung around to do interviews and shake hands. At that time, Bryan, wearing shorts and sandals, approached Beebe's gathering and told an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reporter he wanted to renew complaints about Beebe and Hutchinson excluding him from the debates they have arranged.

Bryan said he wanted to know whether he should write a check to the "Republicrat Party" so he could sponsor the debates.

Willett of Jonesboro then took offense.

"You're trying to start trouble, that's what you're doing, Rod," Willett told Bryan, a sandwichshop worker from Little Rock.

"I'm just trying to ask a question," Bryan responded.

"Act like a gentleman," Willett said.

"A gentleman would debate me - like a man, like a man," Bryan taunted. "Are you a man? Are you a man? Are you a man?"

Willett, obviously frustrated, walked away.


This is something I find very very funny.Willett told me he'd throw Bryan out! When I left, everybody was making nice. Sheez, I hate to miss a good fight.

One more thing, Rodsandwichy be a sandwhich shop employee, but he is also a legally certified candidate to appear on the General Election ballot. More than 10,000 registered voters went to the trouble of signing a petition to get Bryan on the ballot. Hiw hour-long interview is on my home page, lyncho.com. Listen for yourself and decide whether Rod Bryan deserves our respect. I say he does.

One more thing, it is probably true that Bryan should not have taunted Beebe, but I think that is understandable under the circumstances. Mike Beebee and Asa Hutchinson are running vastly well-financed campaigns using the mondy of special interests and political insiders. Rod Bryan has had to do all the work and take the financial risk himself.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?