Sunday, June 18, 2006

Episcopal leadership's brilliant strategy

I apologize that the events of the past weekend have simply set me off. I am sure this will pass in a day or two. I have a few things on my mind about the election of a woman to lead the Episcopal Church USA. That is going to take a while and probably needs to wait for tomorrow afternoon.

I do have one strong reaction, however. As a piece of strategy, the gay activists, political liberals, and feminists have had a stroke of genius. By electing a person who will make conservatives uneasy and Anglo-Catholics outraged, the power structure has served notice on the minority faction in ECUSA. It is summarized in two words: get lost.

They control all the power, property and seminaries. Case closed.

This is a deliberate insult to three Episcopal bishops: Ackerman, Iker and Duncan. I have my quarrels with each of these men, but they deserve more respect.

That attitude also seems to include the international Anglican Communion. In many jurisdictions, the thought of a woman minister is impossible and this action makes dialogue with the (official) American branch impossible.

If anybody cares, and I don't, this also makes reunion with Rome an impossibility.

The Episcopal Church USA is well on the way to making itself an independent province. Does that matter? It depends.

More later, I promise.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?