Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Amnesty? Si.

My how the passage of time softens up our positions! I think I recall that, as undersecretary of Homeland Security, Asa Hutchinson was quite the pragmatist on borders and immigration. There is nothing like an election to help one sharpen his thinking on certain crucial issues. And John McCain, the ever-fascinating Senator from Arizona, ain’t he a piece of work? McCain thinks immigrants should be put on a path to citizenship, but they should be punished. I would like to know, exactly for what?

The only answer from the shrill right wing nuts is that worn out line about the meaning of “illegal.” I’ll start taking that seriously when they begin to use the same standard for Bush’s leaks, or his wiretaps. Building some sort of wall creates an image somewhat reminiscent of Khrushchev and East Germany. Who will patrol this wall with much of the National Guard and all of our military attention directed on an ill-conceived war in Iraq? Who will pay for this wall?

I guess the answer is already obvious, so add that to the war and Katrina cleanup. Amnesty is not only humane, and in perfect keeping with our national heritage, it is the practical solution. I’m Pat Lynch with News and Comment on the Arkansas Priority Radio Network.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?