Saturday, November 12, 2005

The political scene

Let's check in on Arkansas politics. I have been neglecting it lately and the reason for that is simple. The other regular contributors have been doing an exemplary job. Sanders, Thompson, Brummett, et al have well dissected the two polls measuring gubernatorial candidates. What more is there to say? The election is nearly a year off and, at this moment, it is all about scaring off potential financial contributors by proving that "whoever" doesn't stand a chance, so why send him any money? Of course, that is now how things have worked out, but that is how the game is played.

Brummett has won yet another award, for which I commend him. John is consistently among the top columnists in the state and I readily confess that my weekly offerings in the Democrat-Gazette often pale alongside his fine workmanship. Two observations.. Brummett does it as a full time job and he has a lot more experience. Therefore, I believe you will be well rewarded by checking out my Monday piece on the Voices page of the Democrat-Gazette. Bradley Gitz baited his hook and I bit.

John Brummett has an especially useful essay in the Stephens Media Group papers concerning the Arkansas Truckers Association opposition to the proposed highway bond issue. This one has some necessary historical perspective.

To give the already powerfully insulated Highway Commission authority to maintain a $575 million line of credit ad infinitum for projects wholly left to the future discretion of the commission - which is what Gov. Mike Huckabee proposes for a special election Dec. 13 - has the big truck lobby flailing for the air brakes.


Then comes a brief history of how the Highway Commission came to be constitutionally independent. "Tis a good civics lesson. I think his point is that the truckers have taken the right position for the wrong reasons. See what you think.

The Thursday column handles the more pressing business of how to properly understand happenings in Hogland USA. I fear John knows his subject well.

Yes, I am an avid reader of John Brummett. I admire his work, even if he blatantly stole "good Pat, bad Pat" from my radio spiel.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?