Thursday, November 17, 2005

Jailhouse conversion?

So Dan Harmon has found religion. Today's Must read stroy is a feature in the Benton Courier.

“I learned to meditate and to allow my spirit to leave my body and fly around outside,” he said. “I know it was psychological, but I felt like it was real. And it helped me to survive.”


One must never question the wondrous working of the Holy Spirit, so I will not doubt the sincerity of Harmon's new soft side. God's mercy knows no limits.

I will, however, wonder aloud about the Benton Courier's sheepish puff piece on the convicted felon's return to public life. Come on guys! The 61 year old Harmon is just back from 8 years as a guest of the federal prison in Springfield, Mo.

Dan Harmon was Saline County Prosecutor, head of the 6th Judicial District Drug Task Force and a known convicted drug dealer. Harmon has been associated with every unsavory hoodlum in Sodom County's "Dixie Mafia." He corrupted his office, a public trust.

Here's the deal. As my old pal Justice Jim Johnson used to say, "We would all be happy when the Madame of the local whorehouse showed up in church, but we don't want her leading the choir her second week there."

Harmon is working again, not as a lawyer but for Central Arkansas Developers, which is owned by the Spears and Jones law firm in Benton. Good for him.

Harmon's weepy nonsense is a bit much. The only thing that might be more repugnant is the public's forgetfulness.

Since his release from prison, he's attended Sunday School and/or church services every week.

“The first time I went to Holland Chapel (Baptist Church) with (state Rep.) Dwight Fite to his Sunday School class, it was just like a high school reunion,” Harmon said. “There were so many of my friends I went to school with.”

Reflecting on the direction his life took, Harmon stated again that he harbors no ill feelings toward anyone.

“I'm not angry,” he said. “I forgive everybody and I hope they forgive me.”


Mr. Harmon should be doing good works to demonstrate his repentance.

Comments:
I was the investigator on the 7th Judicial District Drug Task Force back in 1991 who originally gathered the evidence and information on Mr. Harmon's criminal activities. You and I spoke on a few occasions during that period. After reading the referenced article, I can't say that I'm surprised in the slightest at what was conveyed. Mr. Harmon suffers from powerful dependencies issues and his dramatic conversion to Christianity is quite typical for that type of personality disorder. Hopefully, this route will provide a less destructive channel for his tendencies towards zealous behavior (though if he ever becomes a minister I would be a tad concerned). And the soft gloves worn by the Benton Courier in handling the story should be expected. Within a few years, I'm sure the citizens of Saline County will once more worship him as their local good/gone bad/gone good again local hero/anti-hero...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?