Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Brummett (almost) gets it right

I must concede that John Brummett is the second best columnist in Arkansas. If you think I am going to nominate myself for the top slot, forget it. Paul Greenberg easily ascends to the top and I must also ad that David Sanders is staging a powerful assault upon the high ground. Lyons and Oakley have me fat out-classed. Brummett is awfully good.

Maybe that's the problem.

John's column is linked above and it is a rare disappointment. He is, of course, correct about the mentality apparent among reporters covering the state capitol beat, but he goes plumb over the top.

John, we know you are too good and far too smart to attend ordinary press conferences with mere mortal reporters. They aren't as good as you, but you don't need to dish it out.

We know you're far too good to watch ordinary television like the rest of us mellon heads. No need to rub it in.

Ease off on Alice Stewart. She is among the most knowledgeable movie reviewers and quite literate. I bet she might have even read you, John.

As to where she used to work. Mr. Brummett, you are sounding like a fellow I used to work for a few years ago. How easy it is to dismiss another professional.. You would be the FIRST to decry the unfairness of ratings taking off your favorite show. (If you ever admitted to watching commercial television, that is.). As you may have heard NOBODY listens to Pat Lynch or reads his column. That has been the rap on me for 22 years now. Let me tell you this. Bad as it may be, SOMEBODY watches that station. Lots of somebodys.

It looks to me as if Mike Huckabee isn't the only one getting a little too big for his britches.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?